The Troia Golf Championship Course, designed by the famous American golf architect Robert Trent Jones Senior is an amazing links and one of the most fascinating golf challenges in Portugal. Located on the Troia Peninsula – a region of outstanding natural beauty and one of the most scenic places in Portugal, between the Atlantic Ocean and the Sado Estuary, with an imposing view over the Arrabida Mountain.
Robert Trent Jones Senior conceived a golf course of 18 holes, par 72, with a length of 6317m, “an extraordinary masterpiece, truly integrated in the natural landscape, a wonderful pine forest surrounded by sand dunes and the sea. The white sand is present, not only in the bunkers that protect the small greens, but also in the surroundings where natural plants are found in abundance, giving it an extraordinary beauty”.
The Portugal Open was held at Troia Golf Championship Course in 1983, Sam Torrance wining with a score of two under par, becoming the only professional under par in four days of competition.
There are two holes that deserve a special mention – 3 & 18. Hole 3, a par 4 with a magnificent sea view, was considered by Robert Trent Jones Senior himself as one of the best he ever designed, and he chose it as part of his ideal 18 hole course. Also, hole 18, a par 5 with a dog-leg to the left and an elevated green and protected by three frontal bunkers is a perfect end to a dream course.
In 2002 the 15th International European Amateurs Championship, the most important European amateur golf competition, was held at Troia Golf Championship Course featuring the best 150 amateur players in Europe. The winner was the Frenchman Raphael Pellicioli, with a score of four under par. The Troia Golf Championship Course was ranked by Golf World magazine in 2009 as the 20th Best Golf Course in Europe and included by Golf Digest magazine in 2005 in the list of the 100 top golf courses in the world outside the USA, and by the Peugeot Guide in Europe’s Top 1000 Golf Courses.Lisbon, Portugal Travel Guide
What our customers say
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Tell us about your experience
Max Length (Men): 6317m
Max Length (Ladies): 4872m
Slope (Men): n/a
Slope (Ladies): n/a
Year Opened: 1980
Designer: Robert Trent Jones Snr
Golf Director: n/a
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
Golf Offers available at Troia Golf Club all year round
- Various offers are available for Stay and Play deals at the Troia Golf Resort
- Stay & Play at the Troia Design Hotel – from only £322pp for 5 nights in the 5 star Troia Design Hotel with 5 rounds of golf at the superb championship Troia Golf Club. 7 night/5 round and 2 night/2 round options are also available.
- 7 nights with 5 rounds at the 4 star Aqualuz Hotel – contact us for your full quotation!
- Pricing based on 2 people sharing a twin/double room, B&B basis, non golfer discount available, single supplements apply
Troia Golf Club
- True links golf
- 1 of Portugal’s very best courses
- Amazing seaside location
- Plenty of accommodation nearby
- A “must-play” course