Ranked 55th Best Course in the World by Golf.com
Arthur Hills, one of the world’s most respected golf course architects, has built his reputation over four decades on an ability to design courses that are playable, yet challenging, created with an overriding sense of environmental sensitivity.
He carefully crafted Oitavos Dunes, working with the beautiful natural site overlooking the Atlantic Ocean to create a world-class Natural Links Golf course.
“We disturbed little of the environment as we routed the golf course in harmony with a piece of property sculpted by nature. Umbrella pines planted more than 50 years ago are a feature on many of the outward nine and the sand dunes preserved by the family over generations provided a true Links experience,” said Hills. “As a result, we created Europe’s first Audubon Gold Signature Sanctuary course!”
The setting is dramatic with magnificent views of the Sintra Mountains, the Atlantic Ocean and the westernmost point of Continental Europe – Cabo da Roca.
“Miguel Champalimaud blessed us with one of the finest pieces of golfing heaven anywhere in Continental Europe,” said Hills about the par 71 classic Nine-Out/Nine-Back links layout. “The course design is much like those found in the British Isles. It has an open, links appearance and turf characteristic. Every hole is influenced by the winds from the Atlantic Ocean. Oitavos Dunes was designed to maintain and preserve the unique characteristics of the land while taking care to protect the local flora and fauna to create an 18-hole masterpiece.”
Why not play here at Oitavos Dunes Golf Club and stay at the on-site Oitavos Hotel?Lisbon, Portugal Travel Guide
What our customers say
Excellent course, but perhaps not comparable to a top UK links.
More open than expected, especially off the tee. Strong finish.
Superb golf course
Shame we played on a Monday as everything in the clubhouse was closed.(except the desk at he front) Buggies a bit on the high side 70euro each,other than that it was an absolutely superb course.
Tell us about your experience
Max Length (Men): 6303m
Max Length (Ladies): 4620m
Slope (Men): 134
Slope (Ladies): 128
Year Opened: 2001
Designer: Arthur Hills
Golf Director: n/a
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
Greatly discounted green fee rates available all year round at Oitavos Dunes GC and Stay & Play packages at The Oitavos Hotel through The Golf Travel People – contact us for your bespoke quotation.
Group and twilight discounts available (twilight rates include free shared buggy)
Oitavos Dunes Golf Club
- A quality Lisbon golf course
- Always in great condition
- Beautiful seaside location
- Very close to Cascais
- On-site 5 star hotel