Intensified by Nature!
West Cliffs Golf Links is managed by Praia d’el Rey and forms part of the 4-course grouping in this compact area about 1 hour north of Libson including Praia d’el Rey Golf Club, Royal Obidos Golf Club, Guardian Bom Sucesso Golf Club and West Cliffs – a perfect golf holiday destination!
The amazing new Cynthia Dye designed golf links at West Cliffs, near the historic World Heritage town of Obidos north of Lisbon, is a wonderful addition to the offering in this fast developing region for golf.
Occupying an unrivalled cliff top location overlooking the pounding Atlantic waves on the beaches below, the course is a true links-style which will challenge golfers of all standards.
Featuring huge sloping greens, fairway, green-side and waste bunkers ready to swallow your ball into their soft sand and fairways that suddenly disappear from view over false horizons, it is vital that you choose the correct tees to play from according to your handicap, form and also the prevailing weather conditions on the day as choosing the wrong tees could really ruin your day!
As mid-teen handicap players, we inspected the course in June 2017 only a week after opening and found this spectacular course to be beautiful but extremely tough! Stray off the rolling fairways and your ball can quickly disappear into acres of vicious gorse or waste bunkers that run alongside many of the fairways. But if you are hitting straight the rewards are there as the greens provide excellent putting surfaces with true roll easy to acheive.
The course at West Cliffs Golf Links offers a variety of superb holes with many memorable views and challenges to be found throughout your journey over this spectacular coastal landscape. Try not to get too distracted though as real concentration is required – especially if your card is intact by the closing stretch of holes and you are looking to post a good score.
The par 5 15th hole stretches uphill over 500yds from the back tees and although not the longest in modern terms, the elevation change makes this hole play much longer than it appears on the card. Follow this with the short par 3 16th which requires a high ball with plenty of back spin if you are to hold the green and not disappear into the cavernous beyond, and then the stroke index 2, par 4 hole 17 back up the hill and then the tricky 18th (stroke index 4) down the hill and over the water to the semi-island green and the sum total of the last 4 holes can be glory or a disaster!
Whatever the outcome, the welcoming modern clubhouse with huge windows overlooking the course and down to the mighty ocean below is a welcoming place to unwind and recover after a pure golfing experience here at West Cliffs Golf Links.Lisbon, Portugal Travel Guide
What our customers say
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Tell us about your experience
Max Length (Men): 6337m
Max Length (Ladies): 4650m
Slope (Men): n/a
Slope (Ladies): n/a
Year Opened: 2017
Designer: Cynthia Dye
Manager: Alexandre Barroso
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
9 hole to 6 rounds green fee rates available at low prices
9 extra holes available free of charge on the same day as any 18 hole booking
1 free player in 8
Reduced rates for golf buggies (recommended)
West Cliffs Golf Links
- Pretty tough track
- Amazing sea views
- Next door to Royal Obidos GC
- Slippery greens, 3 putts are common!
- Packages with Marriott Praia d’el Rey