The oldest golf club in Spain – founded in 1891
Although now not located on its original site, the golf club of Las Palmas – the capital city of Gran Canaria – is the very oldest in all of Spain and was formed to cater mainly for the ex-pat British golfers who had begun to colonise the island around that time and wanted to fulfil their desire to play golf as they would do back at home!
The club moved to its present location teetering on the edge of the Bandama volcanic crater back in 1956 and designer Mackenzie Ross worked his magic on what must have been a fairly unforgiving tract of land. In fact the current driving range is probably one of the quirkiest anywhere with its teeing area set high on the edge of a side-crater of the main extinct volcano with players blasting their practice shots down into the old crater!
The course exudes golfing quality both in terms of design and conditioning with excellent tees, fairways and greens with the putting surfaces being of the highest order.
The layout begins by skirting along and around the old crater before climbing into the hills to the west and then diving back down to the clubhouse for the closing stretch. Many of the greens are elevated and whilst not protected by severe bunkers as often found on more modern courses the challenge is to keep the ball flying high and then getting it to hold on the slippery greens.
The course is blessed with spectacular views from most of the holes and with its own slightly cooler micro-climate in the foothills of the main Gran Canaria mountains it is a relatively easy walking course.
The on-site 3 star Bandama Golf Hotel is a comfortable venue in which to base yourself for a few days of stay and play, before perhaps heading to the south of the island for some more modern golf courses and hotels more typical of a contemporary Spanish golf holiday.Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain Travel Guide
What our customers say
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Tell us about your experience
Max Length (Men): 5915m
Max Length (Ladies): 5190m
Slope (Men): n/a
Slope (Ladies): n/a
Year Opened: 1891
Designer: Mackenzie Ross
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
Reduced green fee rates available at all Gran Canaria golf courses all year around – please contact us for full details and your bespoke quotation!
Real Club de Golf de Las Palmas (Bandama), Gran Canaria
- Oldest club in Spain
- Members club
- Excellent midweek rates
- Close to Las Palmas
- Part of Gran Canaria Golf Pass!