The golf club at El Cortijo, just to the south of Gran Canaria’s capital Las Palmas is a true members club, but yet provides a warm welcome to holidaying golfers on the island.
Although the course is bordered in some areas by some questionable looking apartment blocks it is a surprisingly high quality challenge of golf as it winds its way high into the hills and valleys around the clubhouse. This high quality is rubber stamped by the fact that the course has held the Spanish Open in recent years (2002) which was won by Sergio Garcia, amongst many other professional events including multiple Canary Islands Open Championships.
The course itself – designed by the legendary Stirling and Martin duo – whilst being one of the longest tracks in Spain, features 6 tees per hole, so that golfers of all standards can be comfortably accommodated on the course.
The greens are of a very high standard and when we played the course recently found them to be second only in Gran Canaria to RC de Las Palmas.
Considering that course is well over 100 years old and the greens are very well established, the high quality of the greens at El Cortijo is a testament to the green keepers and members who take great care of this wonderful course.
The opening 9 holes are on gently undulating land to the east of the clubhouse winding down towards the sea and back, whilst the back nine climbs high into the volcanic valleys to the west side with some extremely elevated tees and greens many metres below. The holes are bordered by ancient palm trees and other local flora and fauna and with the many lakes dotted around the course the place is more like a garden than a true championship golf course.
With the colourful bird-life found here at El Cortijo you are sure to find the golf course a relaxing environment for your round of golf on Gran Canaria.Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain Travel Guide
What our customers say
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Tell us about your experience
Max Length (Men): 6308m
Max Length (Ladies): 4635m
Slope (Men): 130
Slope (Ladies): 117
Year Opened: 1999
Designer: Stirling & Martin
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
Multi-round, golf & buggy and Stay & Play Golf Packages always available with El Cortijo Club de Campo at the on-site Hotel Cortijo San Ignacio including unlimited golf!
Reduced green fee rates available at all Gran Canaria golf courses all year around – please contact us for full details and your bespoke quotation!
El Cortijo Club de Campo, Gran Canaria
- An enjoyable holiday course
- Close to Las Palmas & the airport
- Great greens and fairways
- Part of Gran Canaria Golf Pass!