Perched above the coastline on Tenerife’s western flank, with excellent views across the straits to the island of La Gomera, lies the superb luxury Ritz Carlton Abama Resort and the Abama Golf Club.
As you might expect with such a high-end company managing the resort, the golf course here at Abama is a truly spectacular golfing challenge that features many elevated tees, wonderful sea views and a golf course with design and conditioning of the highest order.
The natural terrain of the golf course demands that a GPS-enabled buggy is used by all but the fittest (or craziest) of golfers, but it is this wonderful terrain that gives Abama a unique place in the pantheon of European and World golf courses.
Designed by the world-renowned Dave Thomas the course cleverly uses the natural contours of the landscape among the banana plantations and the many lakes and streams to offer a golfing experience that can be enjoyed by players of all standards.
The quality of the tees, fairways and greens is second-to-none on the Canarian island of Tenerife and this places Abama at the top of the golfing tree on the island.
The golf course at Abama reaches an elevation of 315m above sea level in places, and features over 25,000 palm trees. Teeing off early in the morning or in the mid-evening for a twilight round can be tricky as many of the holes play into the sun so make sure you keep a close eye on your ball off the tee as it can easily disappear in the glare!
Green fees are admittedly among the highest in the area, but in our opinion this is justified as a round or 2 at Abama should definitely be included on your golf holiday itinerary in Tenerife.Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain Travel Guide
What our customers say
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Tell us about your experience
- Par: 72
- Max Length (Men): 6271m
- Max Length (Ladies): 5030m
- Slope (Men): 133
- Slope (Ladies): 126
- Year Opened: 2005
- Designer: Dave Thomas
- Manager: Brendan Breen
- Pro: n/a
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
Abama Golf Club, Tenerife
- Excellent residents rates
- Buggies included
- Spectacular views
- Great practise facilties
- 5 star hotel onsite