San Lorenzo Golf Course is one of the oldest in the area and has legendary status for golf in the Algarve. It makes stunning use of the beautiful Ria Formosa estuary on which it sits and provides one of the most memorable golf challenges in the world game. No wonder San Lorenzo golf is first on the list for many when it comes to golf holidays in Portugal.
One of the most famous golf courses in the Algarve, available exclusively to guests of Dona Filipa San Lorenzo Hotel, the Formosa Park Apartment Hotel, and of course to those who are lucky enough to be private members.
Located in Quinta do Lago and just a 10 minute courtesy bus ride from the hotels, San Lorenzo Golf Course has become the showpiece of the Algarve, with its superbly manicured fairways maintained by the green keeper’s policy of preparing it as if for a new tournament each and every day.
Natural Beauty, Pristine Presentation
San Lorenzo Golf Course designed by American Joseph Lee, opened in 1988 and remains etched in the memory of all who play it. The course is a combination of natural beauty, pristine presentation and hole after hole of challenging golf. Having received countless awards, the San Lorenzo Golf Course is considered one of the best golf courses, not only in Europe, but ranked worldwide.
Bordering the Ria Formosa Estuary
While much of the San Lorenzo Golf Course meanders through typical pine woods, it also opens to magnificent ocean vistas and distant mountain backdrops. A good part of the San Lorenzo Golf Course is virtually an extension of the nature reserve of the Ria Formosa Estuary with fairways that run alongside saltwater marshes and freshwater lagoons.
This protected environment is the habitat of over 70 bird species, including herons, hoopoes, white storks, coots, black-winged stilts and the rare purple gallinule.
What our customers say
Course in great condition.
Course in great condition.
Tell us about your experience
Max Length (Men): 6247m
Max Length (Ladies): 5171m
Slope (Men): 136
Slope (Ladies): 128
Year Opened: 1988
Designer: Joseph Lee
Golf Director: n/a
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
Dona Filipa San Lorenzo Stay & Play Offers available
San Lorenzo Golf Course
- 1 of the Algarve’s classic courses
- Usually exclusive for hotel guests
- However The Golf Travel People can offer you green fees here!
- A “must-play” course