One of the oldest Algarve golf courses was designed by the great Sir Henry Cotton. It weaves through pine and cork trees at the luxurious Penina Hotel & Golf Resort and provides an unforgettable golfing experience. Little wonder then why Penina still figures as a leading venue for golf holidays in Portugal.
A pioneer amongst golf resorts in the Algarve, Penina Hotel & Golf Resort is the only resort in Portugal to have three golf courses within its 360 acres (145 hectares) grounds where guests can experience and explore: The Sir Henry Cotton Championship 18 hole course, and two 9 hole courses – The Academy Course and the Resort Course.
The Sir Henry Cotton Championship Course was the first resort golf course to be built in Portugal and therefore is unquestionably where golf started in this southern corner of the Iberian Peninsula. Three times British Open champion, the late Sir Henry Cotton was encouraged to visit and lay out a course over a former rice field. On an unpromising wet, treeless site, Cotton grasped the opportunity to renew the British connection with golf in the country that had been established in the 19th century.
In the process he created his masterpiece, a fitting epitaph to one of Britain’s most successful professional players and a course which has already hosted ten Portuguese Opens; other prestigious tournaments (namely, The Daily Telegraph Seniors’ Match play event (2000/1), the National Finals of the Audi Cup); as well as major International and Charity competitions (such as the Sir Henry Cotton Team Trophy and Sir Henry Cooper & Mike Reid Charity Classic).
The entire resort has gained recognition by adopting environmental management practices and is a member of the Audobon Co-operative Sanctuary System. These best practices include the promotion of the natural flora in the fairway surrounding areas as well as the minimal use of chemical substances in order to preserve the soils, water, wild species and natural resources in general.
Western Algarve, Portugal Travel Guide
What our customers say
Great test of golf
One of our favourite courses!Greens in good condition, fairways OK. A good test for high and low handicaps.
Tell us about your experience
Max Length (Men): 6273m
Max Length (Ladies): 5140m
Slope (Men): 131
Slope (Ladies): 124
Year Opened: n/a
Designer: Sir Henry Cotton
Golf Director: n/a
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
Penina Golf Club Offers Special Offers available:
2 players + buggy from £37pp (Resort Course) or from £80pp (Sir Henry Cotton Championship Course)
Early Bird tee times between 0730 – 0830 available all year round
Penina Hotel & Golf Resort ***** Offers
- Up to 20% discounts available for hotel bookings
- Stay 7 nights and benefit from 2 free evening dinners (not including drinks)
- Stay 5 nights and benefit from 1 free evening dinner included (not including drinks)
- Compulsory Christmas and New Year meal supplements will apply for stays on 24th, 25th & 31st December
Penina Golf Club
- Sir Henry Cotton design
- 1 of the Algarve’s classic courses
- Superb practice facilities
- 2 further on-site courses
- 5 star luxury hotel on-site