Situated on the south-east coast of County Down, Ardglass is unquestionably one of the most spectacular courses in Ireland.
Essentially the course meanders its way out to a headland and then meanders its way back.
The first five holes are truly memorable and run right alongside the sea. The par three 2nd (Howd’s Hole) is many people’s favourite and many people’s undoing – with the tee shot needing to be fired across a rocky inlet, it is a real death-or-glory hole and somewhat reminiscent of the 3rd at Tralee. At only 158 yards it may not be as damaging to the score card as the ‘Calamity’ at Royal Portrush, but it nevertheless comes with a health warning.
A second magnificent par three is the downhill 12th where the Irish Sea can provide a daunting diversion and when the wind is dead against it can be truly intimidating. The final hole, however, offers a good chance of a closing birdie and then it’s off to the 19th – in true Ardglass style, a restored castle. Bring plenty of spare golf balls!
Ardglass Golf Club makes a great golfing weekend away when packaged with Royal County Down and a few nights stay at the Slieve Donard Hotel.
What our customers say
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Tell us about your experience
Max Length (Men): 6268yds
Max Length (Ladies): 5344yds
Year Opened: 1896
Designer: Mr David Jones (& others)
Manager: Debbie Turley
Pro: Philip Farrell
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
Ardglass Golf Club
- A decent seaside golf course
- Great views from many holes
- Warm & welcoming clubhouse
- Enjoyment guaranteed!
- Watch for the gusty winds though!