The 27 holes of golf at Santo da Serra sit perched high on the hillside and offer great views down to the sparkling Atlantic Ocean way below. However the golf course is a surprisingly easy walk with only a few areas of the course being really hilly, although when the hills do come into play they are quite steep!
Santa da Serra is a great design as it follows the contours of the land to allow this relatively easy walk, and the layout is a true championship course that is worthy of its excellent reputation.
Originally opened back in 1937 and then remodelled by Robert Trent Jones in 1991 the Santo da Serra Golf Club has been a worthy venue of plenty of professional and European Tour events since first hosting the Madeira Island Open in 1993, won by Englishman Mark James.
Santo da Serra Golf has attracted many professionals and celebrity players over the years due to the quality of the golf course and the welcome provided by the staff and the generous clubhouse, and these have included the King of Spain and Prince Andrew of Great Britain.
In conjunction with the 2 other Madeira Island courses – Palheiro Golf and Porto Santo Golf – a trip for a golf holiday to Madeira is highly recommended by the Golf Travel People and even if you don’t venture across to Porto Santo, there is certainly enough quality golf available on the main island of Madeira to satisfy even the keenest of travelling golfers.
What our customers say
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Tell us about your experience
Max Length (Men): 6241m
Max Length (Ladies): 5147m
Year Opened: 1937
Designer: Robert Trent Jones Jnr
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
Madeira Golf Passport always available including 3 or 5 rounds at Palheiro Golf and Santo de Serra Golf
Al passport rounds to be played within a 14 day period
Santo da Serra Golf Club
- Spectacular location
- 27 holes of championship golf
- Large comfortable clubhouse
- Challenging layouts
- A must-play golf course on Madeira