The Royal Spanish Golf Federation has confirmed that La Cala Resort is the biggest golf complex in Spain. La Cala has three 18-hole championship courses and a top quality 6-hole par 3 course, making it the largest golf resort in Spain. The resort is highly regarded for the quality of the golf courses and sports facilities including the only David Leadbetter Golf Academy in Spain.
Hosting the Q-school for the Ladies European tour in November 2005 and 2006 as well as the Spanish Pairs Professional Championship in 2007 has proved that La Cala Golf Resort is highly regarded internationally. It is also worthy to mention that La Cala Resort got a Guinness World Record in 2007 by hosting the largest one day golf competition with 614 players.
The three 18-hole championship courses all offer a different challenge, Campo America (formerly the North Course) is longer than the tighter Campo Asia (formerly the South Course). The fairways of Campo Europa are generous from the tees and the greens are slightly larger than on the other 2 courses. They are not severely contoured but are well bunkered and will be easier for the average golfer. The par 71 course measures 6014 metres.
All three courses have been designed by Cabell B. Robinson. Course designer Cabell Robinson stresses the difference between the three courses: The three courses in La Cala Resort are all very different in character.
The new course is the most different of the three because of the river Ojen, the others are in the hills. They are three good challenges and none is over long. Yet they are all very different in character. It gives a great option to golfers to have three 18-hole courses to choose from.
Cabell went on to stress the advantages of the new course for the average golfer: “The new course is not only dramatic but will also be easier for the average golfer. The fairways are generous from the tees and the greens are slightly larger than on the existing courses.”
The Ojen river plays a part in eight holes, cutting across three fairways. There is one main bridge that measures 45 metres and four smaller bridges over the river. The design also features four tunnels for golf carts and maintenance machinery. In total there are concrete golf cart paths measuring 20,000 m2.
The 14th is at the maximum limit of what is allowed for a par 3 at 233 metres. The 11th is the longest hole. The par 5 measures 524 metres.
A lot of attention went into the protection of native plant species and indigenous plants such as Lavender, Rockrose, Rosemary and Palmettos were planted. Also planted were groves of trees, including Cork oak, Eucalyptus, Olives trees, Almond trees and Carob trees. In total 300 trees and 1,500 bushes were planted. No trees were removed and only one was transplanted. Over 500,000 m3 of earth and 70,000 m3 of topsoil was moved in constructing the course The total area of land involved measures over 100 hectares. The actual golf course itself measures half of this.
What our customers say
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Tell us about your experience
Max Length (Men): 6014m
Max Length (Ladies): 4556m
Slope (Men): 136
Slope (Ladies): 119
Year Opened: 2005
Designer: Cabell B. Robinson
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
Other Offers at La Cala Golf Club:
- Buggies always included
- 2 round pass
- 3 round pass
- La Cala Asia reduced rates for playing without buggy included (i.e. walking)
- Play with Amigos (4 players all teeing off at the same time)
- Season Ticket 7 day unlimited golf pass
- Replay Offer (additional 18 holes on same day)
- 1 free in 8 applies (except Play with Amigos and Pro Offers)
- Twilight rates available all year round
Stay and Play Offers always available at the on-site 5 star La Cala Golf Hotel & Spa
La Cala Golf Club - Campo Europa
- Europa is the newest La Cala course
- Wider fairways than America & Asia
- 2 other on-site a Cala GC courses
- 5 star la Cala resort hotel on-site
- Buggies always included