Atalaya owes much of its charm and beauty to the fact that it was created back in 1968, before the rash of golf Estepona urbanisation development that has seen courses spring up all over the Costa del Sol.
Skilled ground staff have not only maintained the quality of the courses over the years, but created a perfect ambience around the clubhouse with pretty fountains surrounded by richly-coloured beds of flowers.
Set against the stunning backdrop of the Sierra Blanca mountains, its two magnificent 18-hole courses – the Atalaya Old Course and the Atalaya New Course – are lined with mature eucalyptus trees, cactus and palms and pink and white azaleas that fill the air with an unforgettable and intoxicating scent.
The Old Course at Atalaya Golf & Country Club
The Old Course was designed by Bernard von Limburger, the 1925 German Golf Championships winner who became his country’s finest golf course architect of the time. With its wide fairways and large elevated greens, this championship course provides a challenge to golfers at all levels. Elegant and mature with spectacular views of the magnificent La Concha mountain, it is the perfect oasis of tranquillity on the otherwise bustling and vibrant Costa del Sol.
Its apparently benign parkland aspect with gently sloping fairways makes it an ideal course for the average club golfer – but plentiful bunkers filled with sparkling ‘marmolina’ sand, fast greens, lush vegetation and fairways lined with olive, pine, cactus and eucalyptus trees prove a challenge for single-figure players as well.
The New Course at Atalaya Golf & Country Club
Atalaya New Course offers spectacular views of the Mediterranean and Gibraltar and is seen as one of the most natural courses on the coast.
Created in 1990 by Paul Krings, the New Course is set further inland, but has a similar parkland feel about it – with gently undulating fairways and large, fast greens. It would be fair to say that, in general, hazards are obvious but still manage to trap the unwary. Care is needed off the tees and the wild hitter will soon encounter difficulties.
The New Course is rapidly catching up with the Old in terms of quality and in the summer months there are great bargains to be had for the holiday golfer.
What our customers say
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Tell us about your experience
Atalaya Golf Old Course
Max Length (Men): 6146m
Max Length (Ladies): 5034m
Slope (Men): 136
Slope (Ladies): 129
Atalaya Golf New Course
Max Length (Men): 5179m
Max Length (Ladies): 4390m
Slope (Men): 131
Slope (Ladies): 116
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
Amazing value Stay & Play Deals are available at the Sol Marbella Estepona Atalaya Park Hotel – check for more details
Golf-only offers also available all year round for non-residents – get in touch for latest and best rates!
Atalaya Golf and Country Club
- 2 x 18-hole courses
- Both are mature parkland layouts
- Close to Marbella
- Great Stay & Play deals!