The phrase “la Cañada” roughly translates to English as “the glen”, and by the time you reach the 18th hole here at La Cañada golf club you will realise why the golf course has this name! From the men’s tees you are confronted with a huge carry to the distant fairway of over 150 metres and the yawning tree-filled chasm below sits ready to swallow up even a slightly mis-hit shot! Even the ladies tees which are considerably further forward and to the side of the ravine present a real challenge to many golfers as this angle of attack also requires a brave shot over the drop below – just with a shorter carry to the fairway.
However, don’t be fooled into thinking that la Cañada is simply about the 18th hole only as the preceding 17 holes offer a variety of golfing challenges as the course winds its way along the narrow tree lined fairways to the well protected and designed greens – that to be honest are the finest feature of this course.
Situated literally next door to the Spanish golfing heavyweights of the Sotogrande enclave at La Reserva and Valderrama, la Cañada is quite a different proposition to these courses and offers visitors a warm welcome both on the course and in the busy clubhouse which has recently been refurbished. In fact, the late Jaime Ortiz Patino – founder of Valderrama – also had great involvement here at la Cañada and the club keeps a museum-like room of photos and other memorabilia of important moments in the history of golf in the area, so be sure to ask to see it after your round…
The practice facilities are also very good here at la Cañada Golf, to the extent that the R&A have commissioned the club to be the venue of an experimental artificial-turf green and artificial bunker complex which they are going to use for sustainability studies which will be vital in the future as golf courses around the world look for ways to reduce their environmental impact; another feature of la Cañada which is worth checking out!
What our customers say
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Tell us about your experience
Max Length (Men): 5917m
Max Length (Ladies): 5010m
Slope (Men): 128
Slope (Ladies): 125
Year Opened: 1982
Designer: Dave Thomas/Robert Trent Jones Snr
Manager: Ignacio Sánchez Montes
Pro: Alvaro Clavijo
Skyscanner Flight Booking Service
Click the image below to start searching SkyScanner for low-cost flights for your golf holiday from your local airport.
To save money on your golf holiday, The Golf Travel People recommend using our partners at Skyscanner to book your flights to your golf break destination. Please use the bespoke flight search engine to book the best priced flights to your preferred golf travel gateway airport.
- Use Faro Airport in Portugal for the Algarve and also the Huelva region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Jerez/Seville/Gibraltar/Malaga airports for the Cadiz/Jerez region of the Costa de la Luz
- Use Alicante/Murcia/Almeria airports for the entire south eastern region of Spain
- Use Girona or Barcelona airports for the north east of Spain including the Costa Brava
- Use Antalya Airport in Turkey for golf holidays in Belek, Turkey
- Use Las Palmas Airport for golf holidays in Gran Canaria
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in Tenerife, unless you can source any flights to Tenerife North for Melia Hacienda del Conde and other resorts in the north of the island.
- Use Tenerife South Airport for golf holidays in la Gomera and use the excellent Fred Olsen ferry service from Los Cristianos to San Sebastian port in La Gomera
Golf & Buggy Offers and Group Discounts always available
La Cañada Golf Club
- Very close to Sotogrande courses
- Challenging layout
- Good practice facilities
- Welcoming clubhouse